12 Sep 2013
Playstation Staff

PS4 Wireless Card

10 Replies 2,326 Views Created 12-09-2013

Anybody know what the top speed will be for the PS4 wireless card will be and if it will support 5ghz?

Thanks

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11 (2,326 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

Re: PS4 Wireless Card

wireless N

unsure if it supports 5ghz though

Below is a Signature

Sony are stabbing their loyal family customers in the back - We have 3 PS3s and 3 PSPs all on the same IP address and all registered with Sony. Why can't we use them at the same time anymore?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11 (2,305 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

I can't see 5ghz being worthwhile you need to be practically metres away from the router because of the range, yes it's considerable faster than N but N has more range you may aswell just use an ethernet cable.

I have the BT HH4 dual band wireless router and the 5ghz band is weak outside the living and none existent upstairs. If you want the full speeds you pay for connect via ethernet or homeplugs, wireless isn't the way to connect a static device like a game console especially for latency, streaming and Gaikai. 

SneezeSneeze
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11 (2,289 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

The exact reason why I can't wait to move out and eventually get my own place. Living at home with my parents is a nightmare in regards to the WiFi. Our router is situated in the very front left corner of the downstairs in the dining room, my room is at the back of the house, PS3 on my desk in the furthest right hand corner. It couldn't be any further away.

Can't wait for them to go away again for 10 days on the 23rd!! :smileyvery-happy:

ShowOff || Daaaaamn I'm Good
Twitter : @LSully7
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11 (2,263 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

Sully-7- wrote:

The exact reason why I can't wait to move out and eventually get my own place. Living at home with my parents is a nightmare in regards to the WiFi. Our router is situated in the very front left corner of the downstairs in the dining room, my room is at the back of the house, PS3 on my desk in the furthest right hand corner. It couldn't be any further away.

Can't wait for them to go away again for 10 days on the 23rd!! :smileyvery-happy:

Homeplugs are the best solution for your situation at the moment, a no frills pair that'll do the job start from as little as £19.99. 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-PA211KIT-200Mbps-Powerline-Adapter/dp/B004INVKP4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UT...

Even though my PS3's in the same room as the Hub4 I still connect via ethernet running under the floorboards, only problem i'll have for the PS4 is no spare ethernet port so i'll either get a Wifi adapter for the Sky box or increase the ethernet ports with a hub switch.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TP-Link-TL-SF1005D-100Mbps-Unmanaged-Desktop/dp/B000FNFSPY/ref=pd_sim_comput...

If you were keeping your PS3 and getting a PS4 both items I have linked above combined would definitely suit your connection needs

SneezeSneeze
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11 (2,247 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Won't that require me to run an ethernet cable to it though? That'd be a fair distance to run a cable for me :smileyfrustrated:

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11 (2,211 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

The homeplugs run via your electrical wiring so you plug one near your router with an ethernet cable, then the other plugged in upstairs near your PS3/PS4 with an ethernet cable from the homeplug to your PS3/PS4, if you want to connect multiple devices plug an ethernet port hub into the upstairs homeplug first then your devices into that, basically creating a home wired network in your bedroom.

Here's a video below demonstration how they work the one's featured have a through powerpoint, whilst they're a bit more expensive maybe worthwhile if your short on powerpoints. 

SneezeSneeze
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 11 (2,205 Views)
Level 3

Playstation Staff

That's AWESOME! Why have I never seen these?!
Oh no, definitely not short on powerpoints! :smileyvery-happy:

Currently, the signal strength on my PS3 fluxes between 42%-47% at the distance apart they usually are. How much on an increase is likely via this?

The PS3 picks up 100% signal when I take it downstairs in the living room, but that's expected then as it's only about 8 metres away from the router.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11 (2,196 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

Basically homeplugs are an alternative to running cables around the house so technically your PS3/PS4 will be hardwired so full connection speed, with services like Gaikai in the future wired via ethernet or homeplugs is the only way to connect. 

SneezeSneeze
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11 (2,192 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Great stuff. Looks like an investment is needed! Cheers Mont!

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11 (2,181 Views)
0 Kudos