Support

PS3 Support

PS3 Support

25 May 2013
By: cheesenbranston Member 7 Posts
Level 1
Accepted Solution

PS3 Slim - No Video or Boot Power (PSU) Issue or YLOD?

[ Edited ]
12 Replies 2156 Views edited 25-05-2013

I've been handed a PS3 slim to have a look at with the explanation that it has stopped working and "may have had a knock".

I've seen various posts and videos but none seem to relate specifically to this model/issue.

MODEL: CECH-3003A

PSU: EADP-185AP – Note there are no pots for adjustment, no apparent damage, leakage on PCB

I've carried out various bits of troubleshooting, results are below

Initial State

Standby: Power LED = Red

Action

Press and hold Power button

Result

Power LED turns green

Fan Spins up: regular speed i.e. not

Powers down after 15 seconds

Power LED turns Red

Power button operates as normal

No Video output from HDMI or Composite

Initial State

Standby: Power LED = Red

Action

Press and release power button

Result

Power LED turns green

Fan Spins up: regular speed i.e. not

Powers down after 40 seconds

Power LED goes out

Power button operates as normal

Initial State

Unplugged

Action

Press and hold Eject button and connect Mains power

Result

Power LED turns green

After initial 3 seconds, fan runs at high speed for 15 seconds

Powers down after 15 seconds

Power LED goes out

Power button inoperable

I've had the unit completely disassembled and reassembled with no change in behaviour

When a disc is inserted it spins up but nothing else happens.

The HDD has been connected using a USB SATA adaptor to a Windows PC. The Drive/Volume is recognised.

I'm guessing this is a power supply issue, or is it the PS3 slim equivalent of the YLOD?

Looking for a bit of guidance before I try the heating technique or advise the owner to fork out on another PSU.

Cheers

Matt

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 13 (2,156 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Re: PS3 Slim - No Video or Boot Power (PSU) Issue or YLOD?

Apparently it's a series 3 PS3 Slim

Just to add, when the power button is held down from standby only one beep is heard about 3 seconds before it switches off i.e. Some other posts on the web suggest a method which involves waiting for 2 beeps, but this never happens on this unit.

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 13 (2,134 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

cheesenbranston wrote:

Apparently it's a series 3 PS3 Slim

Just to add, when the power button is held down from standby only one beep is heard about 3 seconds before it switches off i.e. Some other posts on the web suggest a method which involves waiting for 2 beeps, but this never happens on this unit.

Right'o! Lets get started.

That's a 160GB PS3 Slim, EU/PAL region released July 2011.

The symptoms you describe indicate a PSU failure, though that could subsequently mean other components have failed or become damaged. The description you gave above sounds like someone tried describing Safe Mode to you. You can find out more, and about trying to get into it here.

My advice would be to try the Safe Mode guide, and see if you can get it to be displayed, but failing that either replace the PSU with an identical one (Only if you know enough about doing it and have previous hardware installation and maintenance experience), or simply sell it off for parts. As it's been opened nowhere is likely to offer help though you could try Customer Support who may offer to take it in exchange for one which works for a cost.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 13 (2,126 Views)
Level 1

Thanks Strangeplaice, I'll have a go at Safe Mode and see what I get. It had only been partially described on the post I saw elsewhere, a bit frustrating to say the least.

Unit is in  bits at the mo, I took the opportunity to clean down the BB and RSX and apply fresh thermal paste since it can do no harm.

Will get back when I have tinkered a bit more. If no joy then I guess it's up to the owner whether they want to risk paying 20 quid for another PSU.

Cheers

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 13 (2,093 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 13 (2,077 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Seems I can't get into Safe Mode, I followed the instructions, but don't get the first beep after 5 seconds on either cycle; steps 3 and 6 in the guide. I just get a beep when pressing the power button and then another beep after around 12 seconds, around 3 seconds before the unit shuts down. Any other thoughts, or does this just make the finger pointing at the PSU longer and fatter?

Cheers again
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 13 (2,071 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Try holding power for one full cycle so that it powers on, does all the beeps and goes off again, then hold power again and see if you can get into Safe Mode the second time round a moment later.
Sometimes you need to do this before it'll let you attempt to enter safe mode.

Should that still fail then The PSU finger is pretty much wedged in place now.
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 13 (2,062 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Have tried cycling power cycle multiple times and beep pattern is the same each time, so looks like the PSU is goosed.
Thanks for your help.
Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 13 (2,041 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

No worries, good luck getting it running!
Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 13 (2,032 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Hi Again,

Owner is going to chance it with a replacement PSU. Having searched on Ebay for the part number EADP-185AP I get no results returned, there are loads of EADP-185AB results.

I'm pretty sure I got the part number right - I handed unit back to owner until they get replacement PSU - and googling EADP-185AP does return some results, though typically in French and Dutch.

I can get unit back and double check, just wondered if this rang any bells with you, i.e. if there are differences in PSU part no. according to market?

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 13 (1,990 Views)
0 Kudos