15 Sep 2013
Playstation Staff

GTA V digital download

13 Replies 8,171 Views Created 15-09-2013

Hi folks, 
I've purchased GTA V digital download, the info page says it's a 17,2GB download and nowhere does it say you need more than that space available to play the game.

I went to download it now and it won't let me, it says I need to have 18GB available.. now, I have 31GB available (empty 40GB PS3), yet it won't allow me to download 18GB?
I thought about it and it occurred to me the problem might be that the system needs 18GB to download the game and 18 to install it?
The only other digital download I bought was The Last Of Us and that game didn't have this problem.

What am I supposed to do now? Did I just throw away 70 Euro??

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14 (8,171 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: GTA V digital download

If i pre-ordered the game (which i presumed you did) then you should be able to begin pre-load (download) the game now (considering you live in the UK) - if not you can not pre-load until monday.

The game itself is apparently a 36GB download (with 18GB installed on the console itself) - BUT if you have only got a 40GB Hard Drive then you might not have enough room to download & install the game. Basically the console is 40GB but you will only get around 35GB usable storage (hence why it might not be working)

What is the error you are receiving and how much free space is it showing under the system tab of your console?

Play Fast, Die Hard
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14 (8,165 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

Upgrade the internal HDD will be your best bet, I have a 40GB model myself been upgraded twice to 320GB and again to 1TB. 

In theory GTA V should fit on a 40GB model you will need 34.4GB free space to download and instalation, check the game data utility, music and video folders for data you can delete. If you have previously downloaded Playstation Home delete that also that can take up a few GB.  

SneezeSneeze
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14 (8,162 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

The HD is as empty as it gets (only the PS3 OS is installed, no games, no game saves etc) yet I only have 31GB available.
The error I get is "you need at least 18GB of space available"

This is very disappointing for two reasons: they (Rockstar) could have made a game installer like Naughty Dog did for the last of us, and Sony could have warned the customers that you actually need double the amount of space to download the game.

I hope they can do something to fix this, else I have pretty much thrown 70 euro away.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14 (8,160 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 14

Playstation Staff

There's not much that they can do to "fix" this.

Best thing to do is upgrade the HDD, 40GB is nothing these days. You could try to format the PS3, as 31GB sounds  a bit low, can't really remember but my old 40GB had about 35-36GB free when I got it I think?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14 (8,145 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

It's common knowledge you need double the space to download and install games, some digital games like Uncharted 3 mention this in the description but all should really. 

The only way round this really is upgrade the HDD if your 100% sure there's nothing taking up any HDD space. From memory I thought 40GB models had around 35 to 37GB of useable space but I could be wrong I seem to remember I used to have 37GB out of 39GB back in 2008 when it was new. 

SneezeSneeze
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 14 (8,143 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 1

Playstation Staff

Yeah folks I know you're trying to help and I appreciate it but "it's common knowledge" really doesn't help at all.. I usually buy retail PS3 games, the only digital DL I bought on PS3 I bought was The Last Of Us and that game came with an installer.

I understand I could upgrade the HD but I didn't mean to spend money to upgrade the PS3 when I'm going to get the PS4 in about 2 months.

Anyway, I tried formatting the console (quick format) and I still only have 31GB available.. I could try full format (or system restore, for that matter) but I doubt it would make a difference.
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 14 (8,134 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 14

Playstation Staff

Then your only option is to upgrade the HDD. Should be able to pick up a bigger HDD cheap enough.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14 (8,126 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 11

Playstation Staff

If you shop around you can get replacement PS3 compatible HDD's from £20 to £60 depending on size of memory, one thing to bare in mind is the PS4 will have no backwards compatibility. It maybe worth dropping something like a 120GB HDD into your 40GB model to regain access to both GTA V and The Last of Us because they wont be available for use on PS4

SneezeSneeze
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14 (8,120 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 5

Playstation Staff

AndrosCelsum wrote:
Yeah folks I know you're trying to help and I appreciate it but "it's common knowledge" really doesn't help at all.

The PS3 has been out since late 2006. So, you've had plenty of time to work out the PS3 behaves the exact same way as PCs and Macs when it comes to downloading stuff online. So, this IS common knowledge.

My PSN Profile

All blank friend requests will be refused.
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 14 (7,871 Views)