04 Jun 2013
By SyersJ

Playstation Staff

Download PS3 Upgrade

5 Replies 290 Views Created 04-06-2013

I need to play a Blue Ray DVD but the system calls for an upgrade of the software.  I have tried the 4.41 version (198mb) but down load freezes part of the way through requiring a reformat of the HD. Is there an explaination?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6 (290 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 7

Playstation Staff

Re: Download PS3 Upgrade

You have a corrupted HD?

Do you have a USB stick? Download the update from the PlayStation website on a PC, copy it to the USB stick (USB stick must be formatted to FAT32 and using the correct folder architencture) then plug the USb stick into the PS3 and try to update that way

If that fails then unfortunately you may well have to run the PS3's recovery menu and try a few of the repair options there with a full hard drive format beign the last resort (You don't want to lose your save data from games if you can help it)

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6 (253 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

What movie is it? Where did you get it from?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6 (209 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

Try downloading the update from here using a PC with a wired connection if possible.

Once you've done that copy it to a memory stick inside the following folder structure:

[USB DRIVE] > Folder "PS3" > Folder "UPDATE" > "PS3UPDAT.PUP"

Make sure the drive is formatted as FAT32 before starting, and try to run the update from USB on the XMB. Should that fail, head to Safe Mode and try again there.

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6 (174 Views)
0 Kudos

Playstation Staff

Thanks for the reply.  I have used the USB stick for the download from my PC and it activates the download procedure on the PS3 but this freezes at a point near the end of the action.  I have had to replace the hard drive (and have it reformatted for reuse). This disk replacement has been repeated several times so it is not an isolated occurance.

I thought initiatially I had a bad sector on the HD but with several disk replacements the same results.  Should I have installed the earlier update software versions for it to accept 4.41?

Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6 (152 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 13

Playstation Staff

No. The latest update includes all previous revisions to the firmware. Did you try updating from Safe Mode as well as regular mode?
Please use plain text.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6 (120 Views)
0 Kudos