17 Nov 2013
Playstation Staff

Rockstar does NOT backup your data in GTA Online

14 Replies 1,328 Views Created 17-11-2013

Hi Everyone,

I feel like ranting a little here because Rockstar don't seem to care. Though after selling 12 million copies of GTA V, why would they?

I lost my GTA Online character last week, not by some technical on Rockstar's servers but my phone rang and I dropped my controller, which unfortunately triggered a series of unfortunate events resulting in my character being deleted.

I was (and still am) very unhappy, because I had just reached rank 41 and was so happy that I was almost in with the big leagues.

I contacted Rockstar explaining what happened and after a week they got back to me saying "Unfortunately, we're not able to restore lost characters at this time. We apologise for any inconvenience."

This to me, says they they are unable to restore lost characters BECAUSE they do not back them up.

I am not happy with Rockstar's response, especially since I've read a number of cases where similar things have happened to other people.

Now, I'm a PlayStation Plus member primarily because of the automatic backup feature. Before PS+ came out I backed up my save data all the time so I could go back to it should something like this happen.

Given GTA Online data is hosted online, and Rockstar don't let us touch it, there is a general expectation that they look after this data and back it up. In fact, I strongly believe that SCEI should enforce that all 3rd party publishers must ensure that all user data hosted externally (not on the console) must be backup up and available to be restored upon request.

I'm one who generally embraces the cloud, though not so much for games; but it's times like these when we realise the people we en trust to maintain our data are not doing it right.

I know it'll probably take a small glitch to wipe out over a million users' data before Rockstar do anything to backup data; which is really sad seeing as though with about $800 million on your pocket you could implement a decent proactive backup system.

But anyway, the point of this rant was to warn you all that your data is not backed up, so if your phone rings... pause the game and put your controller in a save place where it won't fall. I've had to learn the hard way, and won't play GTA again because of it.

Saints Row IV here I come!

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Like". If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15 (1,328 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

Re: Rockstar does NOT backup your data in GTA Online

thanks for the info

id be devastated if that happened to me ,im level 101 and would be gutted

anyways enjoy sr4 its a crazy whacky game ,i loved playing it :smileyhappy:

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15 (1,312 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 6

Playstation Staff

Sad to hear that :smileysad:

Unfortunately it's just one of the many flaws in GTA: Online.... :smileysad:

When I first got my hands on GTA V I expected it could hold me off from purchasing a ps4 until early next year, but seeing as it will most likely take ages aswell for heists to come out, I'll probably just try to get myself a ps4 as quick as possible anyways...

What I'm wondering though, which buttons did your controller "click" when it fell down...? How could that have deleted your character?

Best (Ex)Community Moderator: Wretched_Hawk

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15 (1,300 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 10

Playstation Staff

PMSL so you "accidentally" deleted your character, which presumably meant going through the confirmation dialog via this spectacular controller drop, and now you are trying to hold R* accountable due to the fact that they don't take daily back-ups of the millions of player records in the cloud, just so that they can undo accidental use of the delete feature...?

Or how about you take responsibility for your own f**k up? :Stupid:

Message 4 of 15 (1,294 Views)
Level 4

Playstation Staff

File this one under 'Spectacularly unlike freak occurence deleted character'. You cannot possibly blame Rockstar* for something so incredibly freaky, I can't even imagine how you could delete a charcter without going through multiple menus and confimations and all this because of a phonecall?

I smell BS tbh...

Message 5 of 15 (1,290 Views)
Level 8

Playstation Staff

It would appear some of you have missed my point.

My character was deleted because I paused the game (due to lack of actual game menu i use the swap character screen as the pause) and dropped the controller. Looking now I see Square deletes characters and theres an option to press Cross to confirm. Obviously Square and Cross were pressed, and I know its my own fault.

I'm not holding Rockstar responcible for this. I'm simply saying they have to take adequate steps to ensure accidents such as this have a recovery solution. After all, people are able to buy ingame currency with real money; which means your consumer rights apply.

If you spent 100 real dollars for 5 million in-game dollars, spent a lot of it only to find that your character is deleted (for what ever reason) with everything you purchased... I'm sure you'd like to get it back.

It's all quite simple. If you don't understand it then this thread wasn't intended to be read by you.

If you found this post helpful, please give it a "Like". If it answered your question, remember to mark it as an "Answer".This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties and confers no rights.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15 (1,223 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 10

Playstation Staff

We understand fully. However, your request is wholly unreasonable.

• You attempt to pause an online game - a conventional no-no from the off - by using a screen not designed for the purpose
  • You then drop your controller
  • You then, somehow, press square, which given it's location, is probably the least likely face button to be pressed accidentally given the implicit protection it recieves from the right stick
  • You then also somehow managed to confirm this delete request by accidentally pressing X

And you want Rockstar to mitigate the risk of this highly improbable sequence of events how?

By incurring massive cost to backup up millions of cloud records?

How about you mitigate it yourself by moving the selection cursor to an empty character slot when you apply this pause hack? This would cost you zero. I would suggest a slot with an empty slot either side of it just incase of accidental sideways movement next time you drop your pad.

People can spend 100s of 1000s on a car in real life then immediately wrap it around a tree. What consumer right then holds the dealership responsible for that? It's exactly this mentality that the system must protect the individual from their own stupidity that leads to so many ridiculous laws and regulations.

P.S "understanding" and "agreement" are not synonyms.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15 (1,219 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

InfiniteStates, your ignorant replies astound me somewhat.

Your initial points are valid, I don't know how it happened, it just did. Given the circumstance I thought I'd warn others to watch out so they don't loose their character(s) as well.

Seeing as you are such a know-it-all; please enlighten me with the proper way to pause GTA Online. I've tried various things but found nothing was as effective as the character swap/selection screen because it appeared to suspend my session so I don't get shot or run over whilst being away.

If you have a 'better' way please tell me. You might help others who'd like to know too; and there's no need to be a jerk about it. Moreover, pausing the game isn't 'hacking' so I don't know what you're on about there.

Moreover, searching online has revealed numerous cases where technical issues have caused character data to be lost. Backing up this data would have helped in this situation. It's also not a massive cost to backup said data. All cloud services should backup their customers data, it may not be law but it is a fundamental element of all cloud architectures.

GTA Online cannot be compared with the purchase and destruction of tangible products. They are entirely different and while I know what you're getting it, it does not apply in this case.

Thank you for your English lesson, but I am well aware that "understanding" and "agreement" are not synonyms. My choice of words was not a mistake.

Bottom line is I was not asking for anyone's sympathy or agreement in this matter. I simply wanted to stress that Rockstar do not back up your data, so it's up to you to make sure it's safe. Perhaps moving the selection cursor to an empty character slot like you suggested will work, maybe there are other ways.

I feel my point was clear, you just seemed to misunderstand. Maybe it was because you are judgemental, opinionated and overly critical, which unfortunately induced your underlying accusations.

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15 (1,212 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 3

Playstation Staff

thought there was only two character slots,well there is on mine

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15 (1,209 Views)
0 Kudos
Level 8

Playstation Staff

lizziebear66 wrote:

thought there was only two character slots,well there is on mine

You get 2 by default. The others are unlocked somehow. I thought they would unlock as you progress and rank up, but it appears as though that whole area is unaffected by ranks/money/etc.

My guess would be you unlock them via special achievements, like the way you earn multiple custom licence plates for your cars.

Someone will have a definite answer.

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15 (1,206 Views)
0 Kudos